“Are You Going to Be Able to Help Me Lose Weight?”
That’s the most common question I get from potential clients. The honest answer is that I am not sure. It depends on where your habits are now, what you are able to change and sustain for the rest of your life, and how your body responds to those changes. Anyone else that “promises” they can make you thin or whatever is lying in my opinion. Who cares about “results” that don’t stick with you the rest of your life? It’s about permanent change and that is up to you and your genetics. I’m your counselor, your coach, and I will help you change your habits. Completing a nutrition assessment is the best way for me to tell you how much I can help you.
For my healthy weight management programs, I use an Intuitive Eating approach and I subscribe to the principles set forth by Health at Every Size. I believe we need less weight bias and stigma and more positive focus on changing one’s habits. I’ll help you do that without beating yourself up.
1. Accepting and respecting the diversity of body shapes and sizes.
2. Recognizing that health and well-being are multi-dimensional and that they include physical, social, spiritual, occupational, emotional, and intellectual aspects.
3. Promoting all aspects of health and well-being for people of all sizes.
4. Promoting eating in a manner which balances individual nutritional needs, hunger, satiety, appetite, and pleasure.
5. Promoting individually appropriate, enjoyable, life-enhancing physical activity, rather than exercise that is focused on a goal of weight loss.
I have helped many people lose weight. However, we tend to focus on weight loss as “the goal” in our society. My clients lost because they changed their habits, not because they followed a strict diet. Some people lose a few pounds, but gain so much more health. Others lose more. It’s not something I can determine exactly for you. You work with your body, change your habits, and let your weight be a side effect.How to schedule your nutrition assessment:
- Call (202) 375-8942 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment.
- We will schedule your initial and follow up visits and I will send you new client forms to complete and bring with you to the first session.
- Office hours are by appointment Monday-Saturday, typically 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday. Please inquire about Sunday availability.
- Office location: 5200 27th St NW in Chevy Chase D.C., off Military Road across from Rock Creek Park in a residential neighborhood, 2 miles from Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, and Cleveland Park. Free driveway parking. Metrobus accessible. Fridays I have office hours in Tenleytown conveniently located at the metro. Please request this location when booking your sessions if you require metro.
- Nutrition Assessments: All new clients begin with a comprehensive nutrition assessment.
Visit 1: 75 minutes
Visit 2: 45 minutes (Approximately 1-2 weeks after initial visit. We will discus the follow up at the first session.)
Fee: $400 due at the first session includes: both nutrition counseling appointments, new client packet, recipes, handouts, behavioral tools, comprehensive nutrition assessment, unlimited e-mail and/or smart phone food, exercise, and mood journal with your dietitian during your assessment.
Check, cash, credit cards, HSA/FSA cards are accepted. Credit cards, debit cards, FSA cards, and Paypal charges subject to 5% processing fee.
- Insurance: I am an “out of network” provider for private insurance. I can provide a superbill for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement if there is an appropriate medical diagnosis. It is up to you to know the terms for reimbursement and speak to your insurance company prior to the session. I do not participate in Medicare and cannot provide Medicare approved services (renal disease, diabetes). I cannot provide a Medicare "opt out letter" to supplemental insurance at this time.
Weight Management and Behavior Change Program
After completing the nutrition assessment, I may recommend further nutrition counseling through my weight management program. The program is three to six months long and consists of at least 12, 60-minute sessions. This is typically the amount of time needed to realize behavior changes that can stick for the long term.
Fee: Priced per session $1800, if you pay upfront, or make 2-3 payments the fee is reduced to $1500. If for any reason, you cannot complete the package, you will be reimbursed based on the individual session rate of $150.
We will discuss meeting weekly to every other week. Usually, clients need to start out meeting weekly, but may advance to meeting every other week as progress is made. At times, we may discuss doing skype or telephone check ins for 30 minutes between in-person sessions.
Each program and tailored for the individual and may include the following:
- Nutrition therapy to overcome barriers to eating behavior changes. This is the primary focus area and usually comprises most of the sessions.
- Goal setting. At each session, you will complete a goal sheet that include nutrition, exercise, and well-being / stress management goals to focus on.
- Communicating by e-mail or text between sessions.
- “Homework” – I may provide articles to read or ask you to complete journaling exercises as it relates to your goals.
- Grocery shopping trip. I show you how to shop efficiently and provide quick meal ideas.
- Meal planning together. We’ll find recipes you like and schedule out your week to help you get more organized with planning and preparing your meals.
- Cooking together. You bring the food, I show you how to prepare it, and you take it home in re-usable containers.
- Mindful eating. We may cook and eat an entire meal or work on mindful eating skills with foods like chocolate or raisins.
- Dining out together. We’ll work on any challenges you have with eating meals out.
I have a medical grade electronic scale for “blind weights” (without numbers) and I will weigh you at your request, but prefer not to weigh at each visit. If I feel weighing is getting in the way of your progress, we will discuss it. I can also take body measurements and repeat measurements a month later. Don’t forget about the benefits to how you feel each day, noticing more confidence in your new behaviors, and of course improvements to any medical labs as well.
If you are trying to lose weight for a weight class sport, see the sports nutrition section for information.
“Can you help people gain weight too?”
That’s the second most common question I get from clients. Yes, I can help you gain weight whether you unintentionally lost weight due to illness, disease, or change in physical activity level, need to gain for a weight class sport, or are pregnant with multiples or dealing with a high risk pregnancy that requires you to gain more weight.
Weight gain can be just as challenging as weight loss. We will work together on the most effective ways of increasing your energy intake and balance it with your expenditure so you gain weight as safely and easily as possible.
Expect needing at least 4-8 sessions after the assessment for monitoring and support of your weight gain efforts. You will receive a lot of information from the assessment and then we can move on to implementing the changes and monitoring results.
I may ask you to keep food journals and track your exercise, especially if the weight gain progress is slower than expected.