Prenatal and Postnatal Nutrition
Your baby’s health and wellness begins before you even conceive. Taking care of yourself before getting pregnant is the best way to ensure a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby.
If you are already pregnant, it is never to late to take a look at your habits and make some changes that can help make you and baby healthier.
I have worked with many women struggling with infertility issues that may be related to nutrition, such as PCOS, underweight, and overweight.
I also have experience working with women who have a high-risk pregnancy that may require monitored weight gain, such as pregnancies with multiples. In addition, I help women who have developed gestational diabetes (GDM) during pregnancy learn the food and nutrition changes necessary with gestational diabetes.
My approach for everyone is to start with a two-session nutrition assessment. These are 60-minute visits that occur about 2 weeks apart. In the first session, we will discuss your medical diagnoses, any specific challenges you are having, and your goals. I will be able to give you some early eating plans, education and goals to work on. You will start working on the changes and keep me posted via e-mail or text on your progress. I’ll provide a nutrition assessment summary in a PDF to you within a few days of our first session. I will also provide additional resources I believe will benefit you, such as recipes, food lists, or additional reading suggestions. At the follow up session, we will discuss your progress toward your goals.How to schedule your nutrition assessment:
- Call (202) 375-8942 or e-mail email@example.com to request an appointment.
- We will schedule your initial and follow up visits and I will send you new client forms to complete and bring with you to the first session.
- Office hours are by appointment Monday-Saturday, typically 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday. Please inquire about Sunday availability.
- Office location: 5200 27th St NW in Chevy Chase D.C., off Military Road across from Rock Creek Park in a residential neighborhood, 2 miles from Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, and Cleveland Park. Free driveway parking. Metrobus accessible. Fridays I have office hours in Tenleytown conveniently located at the metro. Please request this location when booking your sessions if you require metro.
- Nutrition Assessments: All new clients begin with a comprehensive nutrition assessment.
Visit 1: 75 minutes
Visit 2: 45 minutes (Approximately 1-2 weeks after initial visit. We will discus the follow up at the first session.)
Fee: $400 due at the first session includes: both nutrition counseling appointments, new client packet, recipes, handouts, behavioral tools, comprehensive nutrition assessment, unlimited e-mail and/or smart phone food, exercise, and mood journal with your dietitian during your assessment.
Check, cash, credit cards, HSA/FSA cards are accepted. Credit cards, debit cards, FSA cards, and Paypal charges subject to 5% processing fee.
- Insurance: I am an “out of network” provider for private insurance. I can provide a superbill for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement if there is an appropriate medical diagnosis. It is up to you to know the terms for reimbursement and speak to your insurance company prior to the session. I do not participate in Medicare and cannot provide Medicare approved services (renal disease, diabetes). I cannot provide a Medicare "opt out letter" to supplemental insurance at this time.
After the initial nutrition assessment, you will have a good idea of the behavior changes that will help you reach your goals. Additional sessions may be needed depending on your conditions and the level of support needed. Each future session is $150 per hour.
Healthy Mom-2-Be Program
After completing the nutrition assessment, you may be a good candidate for my unique healthy mom and baby program. This is a package of 12, 60-minute sessions offered at a reduced rate of $1500 (a savings of $300) when you make 1-3 payments.
While the program is structured, it is also designed to be flexible so it can be tailored to meet your needs.
It is suggested that one nutrition visit is scheduled per month of pregnancy. However, you may have particular months where you need me more and you are free to utilize those sessions as needed. If you start later in your pregnancy, you will have sessions to see me more often or utilize after the baby comes. If you use all 12 sessions earlier than expected, you can purchase additional sessions at the reduced rate.
The most important thing is that you see me as you need me throughout your entire pregnancy. Rather than try to overthink spreading out the sessions, plan on seeing me at least once a month and we will take it session by session if you need to come in more often.
Below is an example of the topics covered so the sessions last throughout your pregnancy and delivery.
- Nutrition requirements for a healthy pregnancy.
- Changes to vitamin and mineral recommendations.
- Hydration throughout the pregnancy.
- High-risk foods to avoid and healthy alternatives.
- Addressing healthy weight gain, discussing any fears, concerns or body image issues.
- Increasing intake of healthy, whole foods into your eating plan.
- Pantry and kitchen makeover. Recommended products and foods.
- Managing food cravings and aversions.
- Your exercise plans during pregnancy. Discussion of recommendations, exercise safety, address your concerns about being active while pregnant, and fueling plans while pregnant. (This area is of particular interest to me as I was very active in my pregnancy.)
- Common first trimester issues, such as low energy, nausea, food cravings, hunger and appetite issues, and food aversions.
- Common second trimester issues, such as return of energy, weight gain, changes to hunger and appetite, preventing or managing gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, food cravings or aversions, new food ideas.
- Common third trimester issues, such as additional weight gain, changes to exercise, managing hunger and appetite, and weight gain.
- Common postnatal issues, such as adequate nutrition for breastfeeding, patience with weight loss, monitoring weight loss safely, and resuming exercise once physician approved.
You can start the sessions at any point in your pregnancy. Any sessions not used during your pregnancy can be used afterwards.
Call (202) 375-8942 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions or to request an appointment.