Medical Nutrition Therapy
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) is an essential component of comprehensive health care. Individuals with a variety of conditions and illnesses can improve their health and quality of life by receiving medical nutrition therapy. During an MNT intervention, I provide counseling to clients on behavioral and lifestyle changes required to impact long-term eating habits and health.
Medical Nutrition Therapy includes:
- Performing a comprehensive nutrition assessment determining the nutrition diagnoses;
- Planning and implementing a nutrition intervention using evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines;
- Monitoring and evaluating your progress over subsequent visits.
I provide MNT and other nutrition services for a variety of diseases and conditions including:
- Cardiovascular Diseases: hypertension, high cholesterol, dyslipidemia
- Diabetes: Type 2, Gestational (link gestational only to the prenatal page)
- Disease Prevention: general wellness
- GI Disorders: celiac disease, gastroparesis, and IBS (link to digestive wellness page)
- Food allergies (link to digestive wellness page)
- Weight Management: overweight/obesity, bariatric surgery (pre- and post-op), and eating disorders (link to weight management page)
- Women’s Health: pregnancy (link to prenatal nutrition page), osteoporosis, anemia
You may find more details by visiting one of my focus area pages. (link to nutrition counseling main page?)
My approach for everyone is to start with a two-session nutrition assessment. These are 60-minute visits that occur about 2 weeks apart. In the first session, we will discuss your medical diagnoses, any specific challenges you are having, and your goals. I will be able to give you some early eating plans, education and goals to work on. You will start working on the changes and keep me posted via e-mail or text on your progress. I’ll provide a nutrition assessment summary in a PDF to you within a few days of our first session. I will also provide additional resources I believe will benefit you, such as recipes, food lists, or additional reading suggestions. At the follow up session, we will discuss your progress toward your goals.How to schedule your nutrition assessment:
- Call (202) 375-8942 or e-mail email@example.com to request an appointment.
- We will schedule your initial and follow up visits and I will send you new client forms to complete and bring with you to the first session.
- Office hours are by appointment Monday-Saturday, typically 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday. Please inquire about Sunday availability.
- Office location: 5200 27th St NW in Chevy Chase D.C., off Military Road across from Rock Creek Park in a residential neighborhood, 2 miles from Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, and Cleveland Park. Free driveway parking. Metrobus accessible. Fridays I have office hours in Tenleytown conveniently located at the metro. Please request this location when booking your sessions if you require metro.
- Nutrition Assessments: All new clients begin with a comprehensive nutrition assessment.
Visit 1: 75 minutes
Visit 2: 45 minutes (Approximately 1-2 weeks after initial visit. We will discus the follow up at the first session.)
Fee: $400 due at the first session includes: both nutrition counseling appointments, new client packet, recipes, handouts, behavioral tools, comprehensive nutrition assessment, unlimited e-mail and/or smart phone food, exercise, and mood journal with your dietitian during your assessment.
Check, cash, credit cards, HSA/FSA cards are accepted. Credit cards, debit cards, FSA cards, and Paypal charges subject to 5% processing fee.
- Insurance: I am an “out of network” provider for private insurance. I can provide a superbill for you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement if there is an appropriate medical diagnosis. It is up to you to know the terms for reimbursement and speak to your insurance company prior to the session. I do not participate in Medicare and cannot provide Medicare approved services (renal disease, diabetes). I cannot provide a Medicare "opt out letter" to supplemental insurance at this time.
After the initial nutrition assessment, you will have a good idea of the behavior changes that will help you reach your goals. Additional sessions may be needed depending on your conditions and the level of support needed. Each future session is $150 per hour.
Call (202) 375-8942 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions or to request an appointment.